GEDitCOM II 1.7 Build 2has been released, and like GEDitCOM II 1.6, it is a very massive update. GEDitCOM II is a commercial Mac OS X genealogy application that allows you to customize the application itself. The trial version can be used as a GEDCOM reader.
Among the changes, “Place Records” have been introduced, which is intended to help with genealogy research. For every individual and family, a place record is created with a list of the places associated with that person or family. Exporting GEDCOM files has been improved, including location/place records, as well as allowing for GEDitCOM II-specific data. The “Default Format” interface has been improved.
Changes were made in regards to the file structure to make for an easier install, as well as to conform to Apple’s Mac App Store in case John Nairn decides to sell it through there.
Major Changes/Improvements/Fixes in GEDitCOM II 1.7
* Place Records – this version introduces place records. The first time you open a file, it will create a place record of each unique place listed in individual or family records. You will probably be motivated to use all the new place editing options to organize the place information in your file. The task may lead to new insights into your genealogy research.
* A new “Place Advisor” window gives you access to a large data base of information on places specially designed for genealogy research. This advisor is a helpful tool for organizing your place information.
* Book Style Records – this version introduces book style records that help you automate the process of running the Generations LaTeX book. Furthermore, all documentation on the book creation process is now within the internal GEDitCOM II help.
* Family tree charts were improved to allow portraits to be either to the left of the text or above the text.
* When you attach a child, the child’s and parent’s birth and death dates will be checked to alert you of possible errors when the dates do not seem consistent with that individual being a child in that family.
* You can sort multimedia objects by their date in individual or family records.
* Two new menu commands let you copy and paste events between records.
* Note and multimedia object records can be designated with a distribution setting, which affects some options when exporting them from the file.
* The process to export GEDCOM data was improved, has new options to work with new place records and book style records, and has new options for embedding GEDitCOM II-specific data. The scripting command to export to GEDCOM file was updated to allow the new options.
* Can now control-click link button to multimedia object and select menu command to open the file immediately in a helper application.
* Started a new Create Web Site script (in web sites) was merged with the user-contributed “Create Tabular Web Site” to use all its nice features.
* Started a new Miscellaneous Tasks script (in editing tools).
* Added a new Find Lineage Errors script (in editing tools).
* Added a user-written Timeline Report script to the default installation (in reports).
* Improved method to decode GEDCOM data with many continuation and concatenation lines (CONT and CONC lines). It could run out of memory before (with 1MB note records); it now handles any length notes and is faster.
* GEDitCOM Editor has been improved
* Numerous other improvements and bug fixes (see link to release notes below)
Full Release Notes at GEDitCOM.com