QuickLinks for September 19th – 26th, 2005. Software that maybe of interest to Mac genealogists – includes information on Records Manager 1.5, Microsoft Office X 11.2 (Service Pack 2), journler 1.1.1, TAO 1.1b8, CollectionX 1.0
Records Manager 1.5 – “….allows you to collect important records in a database and allow for easy addition of new records, easy access to existing records, and optional automatic backup of the database. Think of it as a replacement for a file cabinet but with easier filing and retrieval.
* Added the ability to store notes about each file.
* Various performance improvements.
* Fixed bug in Find command.
Microsoft Office X 11.2 (Service Pack 2)
Changes: Too numerous to list – here’s Microsoft’s brief summary – “This service pack provides expanded support for Microsoft Exchange Server accounts, performance improvements, security enhancements, and increased stability for Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Entourage for Office 2004. This service pack also includes all of the improvements released in Office 2004 Service Pack 1 (11.1.0), Office 2004 11.1.1 Security Update, and international proofing tools updates.
journler 1.1.1 – “ Journler is a daily notebook. The program provides an elegant, powerful outlet for your thoughts. Not only does Journler give your thoughts a place where you can find and bind them as needed, Journler helps you connect those thoughts with the source of their inspiration. By combining a richness of text and media technology, Journler allows you to add writing to your digital life without losing sight of other media.”
* Folders and Smart Folders replace Topics
* 256 bit AES Journal Encryption
* Tabbed and Multi-window Editing
* Bulk Import
* Text based enhancements for Tiger users
TAO 1.1b8 – T Advanced Outliner Using TAO, you can efficiently manage and organize pieces of information. TAO supports basic outliner facilities, such as creating, moving, sorting, grouping, combining and gathering items
- – Refined the user interfaces for style sheets.
– Can clear entries on pop-up fields even if the entries don’t exist in the pop-up list.
– Added a variety of offsets for left indent for style sheet.
– Can resize embedded image by dragging handles on any corners and edges of the image.
* Bug Fixes
- – Fixed a bug in the styles sheet system where paragraph styles of entered texts won’t change after editing/adding rules for paragraph styles.
– Fixed a bug that the application crashes after resizing embedded images in texts on the Intel-version of MacOS X.
- – Text alignment for labeling is automatically set to style sheet when setting labeling format from menu.
CollectionX 1.0 – Mac OS X 10.4 – cool tool for publishing collections to the web. Collections can consist of text, images, sounds & movies which are then combined into a web page solution from a choice of themes.
How does it all work? A CollectionX document is a simple database that collates together the elements of your collection (a photo album, a movie collection, some research, a song list etc.) From this is built a self contained folder containing all the necessary web HTML, Flash or Shockwave movie, XML database and media ready to be uploaded to a web server or automatically uploaded to a .Mac server. All this is done with a one click publish…