Update: There was another version released hot on the heels of version 1.3 – Version 1.4 of the Bosworth-Toller Anglo-Saxon Dictionary is now available.
BosworthToller is a computer version of the Bosworth-Toller Anglo-Saxon Dictionary. This Old English Dictionary is out of print, hard to find, and expensive. It’s also huge and not that fast to look up words in…
This program lets you search the dictionary by entering in substrings and typing in the weird anglo saxon characters by their modern equivalents, and so it’s faster and easier to use than the physical version, or even the online version.
It’s free and requires Mac OS X
– added foward/back buttons and buttons to make the main
text larger or smaller.
– cleaned up selecting.
– made hyphens optional on very common prefixes (an-, ge-,
– removed punctuation from around words.
– made search string case insensitive.
– fixed duplicate match bug.
– sorted match list.
– removed blank lines from within definitions, which were an
artifact of page breaks.
– made return key work in search field.
– added recent searches menu to search field.
– initial release