Reunion 8.06 Product Page
Publisher: Leister Productions, Inc.
Type: Genealogy Application
License: Commercial/Retail ($99 CD Based, $65 Upgrade from previous)
Last Updated: Feb 2005
Hardware Requirements: Any Power Macintosh, iMac, eMac, iBook, PowerBook, CD drive
MacOS Requirements: Mac OS 8.5+ or Mac OS X 10.1.3+
GEDCOM Support: Yes
Languages: English (For other languages see Alternate Resource Files at LeisterPro.com)
Forums: ReunionTalk.com – Official daily e-mail digest at LeisterPro.com. ReunionTalk Database/Archives (when it was an mail digest)
Intel Transition – 25 January 2006 – information/report on Reunion 8.0.6 under an Intel iMac, and a mention of Reunion 9 being a native binary.
Reunion is a genealogy software program — a “family tree program” — for the Macintosh. Reunion helps you to document, store, and display information about your family — your ancestors, descendants, cousins, etc. It records names, dates, places, facts, plenty of notes, sources of information, pictures, sounds, and videos. It shows family relationships in an elegant, graphic form — people and families are linked in an easy-to-understand fashion.
- Note: According to Frank Leister, with Tiger (OS X 10.4) “Apple introduced a bug that disables the binding margins feature in Reunion.”
Download: Reunion 8 Demo (From LeisterPro.com)
Mac OS X (2.4 MB) and
MacOS 8.5 -> 9.2 (1.4 MB)
Demo Limitations: 35 people in a family file, import/export disabled, can’t save or copy graphic charts, electronic manual limited to tutorial.
Reunion received the highest rating for genealogy software in MacWorld, MacAddict, and Mac Home Journal magazines. Reunion also creates large, high-resolution, graphic charts allowing complete on-screen editing of boxes, lines, fonts, and colors. Wall charts are one of its specialties. If you buy Reunion 8, you will receive one CD that contains both versions of Reunion (Reunion for Mac OS X and Reunion for Mac OS 8.5 to 9.2) and it will automatically install the correct version for your Mac.
Reviews: (If you’d like to contribute one, Contact us)
Family Tree Magazine (UK) – Nov 2004
MouseBytes – Mar 2004
macCompanion.com – Jan 2004
User Review/Hands-On at MacGroup-Detroit – Jun 2003
Macworld – Jun 2003
MacWorld’s Genealogy Software Roundup (2001): Part I and Part II
More reviews at LeisterPro.com
Other Products/Older Versions by Leister Productions, Inc.:
Older Versions of Reunion at LeisterPro.com
LDS Temples File (working with LDS ordinance data) at LeisterPro.com
Perspective Event Sets at LeisterPro.com – “events of historical significance which you can add to a timeline chart, thereby enhancing the legend of the chart”.
Third party utilities/add-ons for Reunion:
FolderUpdater by Steve W. Jackson – for working with “Web Family Cards” – makes it “easy to spot which files have changed and may need to be uploaded to your web server”.
ReunionCalculator by Steve W. Jackson – “After generating “Web Family Cards,” ReunionCalculator can be used to get the URL of a particular Web Card or Person Sheet page based on the Person ID or Family ID”
Reunion2iCal – by Darrell Schulte – it’s an AppleScript and a Perl script working in concert to take a tab delimited file from Reunion and output an .ics file. The desire is to import the birthdays of individuals from Reunion into Apple’s iCal to track upcoming birthdays as annual events.
- Requires: Mac OS X (iCal/Address Book), Reunion
There is a page to assist Reunion users in moving their files from Mac to Mac using just about any means you can think of. The page can be found here. Very comprehensive.
Version 8.06 (Feb 2005)
* Improved the CPU usage on certain windows (e.g., Numbering, Edit Source, Source Preview, etc.).
* Added support for the iWork Pages word processor.
* Added better support for dragging pictures from the Finder and iPhoto to people and family cards.
* Fixed a problem where saving a Compact Copy of a family file with user-defined Found Lists would corrupt the found sets in the resulting compacted file.
* Fixed a problem where artifacts were appearing on chart frame corners on single page charts and on charts over 456 inches in either direction.
* Fixed a problem with redrawing relative charts with certain groupings.
* Fixed column resizing problem for some windows.
* Fixed a freeze that would occur sometimes when drawing Descendant Charts.
Version 8.05 (Dec 2003)
* Gedcom Import: Made some improvements that should speed up the importing of larger files.
* Fixed a problem that would cause Initial Caps and Uppercase to be ignored in the Edit Marriage Window.
* Options -> Startup: Calendar settings were not getting properly saved.
* Chart Editor: Fixed a problem with the Squeeze Pedigree menu command that was introduced in 8.04.
* Fixed a problem that would cause Reunion to beep when calculating relationships for a person with a very large number of direct line ancestors.
* Fixed a problem in Match & Merge People that would cause incorrect matches when only one person was marked.
* Reporting the contents of the LDS Ordinances window when nothing was listed in the family list, could result in a crash.
* Edit Person/Edit Family: When changing an LDS Status from a popup menu, the Save button will become enabled.
* Index of the Descendant Report was lising the wrong number for spouses of descendants when register numbers were used.
* Source List: Corrected some sorting issues when sorting sources by the source Data.
* OS X 10.3 (Panther) Fixes:
- * Resize box would sometimes not show when a resizable window was opened.
* Fixed the clipping from the bottom of some popup arrows, such as the red multiple spouse arrows.
* Fixed a problem that would cause a blank white rectangle in the top right corner of the Help window when using Search the Manual and also when clicking the Contact button in the About Reunion window.
* Fixed a problem that would cause a blank white rectangle in the top left corner of the Edit Person window after clicking New Male Person or New Female Person in the Begin window that appears when first opening a family file.
* Fixed some odd behavior and crashing with the Match & Merge window.
* Fixed some undesireable behavior with the Find Anything window.
To view older revisions, please see the list at LeisterPro.com
From Leister Productions:
I’m pleased to announce that we have developed a method for the new ReunionTalk.com online forum to generate a daily email digest, much like the one you used to receive every weekday. This is good news if you prefer to receive a daily email ReunionTalk digest, rather than visiting the new web-based ReunionTalk discussion forum.
1. Each message in the digest will contain the complete text of a message AND a link to the original message posted on ReunionTalk.com, making it easier to go online if you want to reply, or if you want to see the message in context at ReunionTalk.com.
2. Digests only inlude messages posted at ReunionTalk.com. You can’t send an email to post a message to a digest.
3. The new digest looks nicer than the old version. It contains some formatting. (For example, quoted text appears indented and colored.)
Instructions for joining the daily digest
1. If you haven’t already joined, you must visit ReunionTalk.com and click “Register” to join. (The old ReunionTalk and the new ReunionTalk are two different entities. You must be a member at ReunionTalk.com in order to sign up for the new email digest).
2. Visit ReunionTalk.com and log in
3. Click “User Settings”
4. Click “Edit Profile”
5. In the ReunionTalk Digest section, choose “Send Me Daily Digests” from the pop-up menu.
6. Scroll down, and click “Save Changes” at the bottom of the window.
To reiterate: in order to receive daily email digests, you have to register at the new ReunionTalk.com (if you haven’t already done so) and request the daily digest following the instruction above, but you don’t have to visit ReunionTalk.com in the future. There’s no need to use your browser or the forums on ReunionTalk.com if you simply want
to receive a daily digest of messages.