This marks the start of a weekly series, not always on the same day, where I’m going to cover software updates that maybe of interest to Mac-using genealogists.
VueScan 9.0.80 was released today. It’s scanning software for Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux, and has been my preferred scanning software for several years. It handles a large amount of scanners and provides more features than most factory-default software that comes with your scanner. There is also an iOS version of VueScan (VueScan Mobile – Hamrick Software) that takes advantage of WiFi-enabled scanners to scan straight to your iOS device.
More information: Hamrick.com (VueScan website).
iPhoto Library Manager 3.7.3 was released yesterday, mainly covering bug fixes. iPhoto Library Manager is aptly named – it allows you to have multiple iPhoto libraries, rather than having everything contained within one iPhoto library. It also supports copying photos from one iPhoto library to another. I use it to keep track of photos from different branches of my family (and my wife’s family) as well as separate personal/family photos (vacation, holiday, etc.) from older genealogy-related photos. It supports Mac OS X 10.4.11 or higher, and iPhoto 4.0.3 or higher. Handy for those using older Macs and older versions of iPhoto.
More information: Fat Cat Software
Posterino 2.5.4 was released today. It’s actually a significant release, even if the version change is up to 2.5.4. Posterino is an application that allows you to create posters/collages out of photos. There are several different templates and ways to take your photos and automatically turn them into a collage.
Changes in 2.5.4
* You can now access your iPhoto Photo Stream in the built-in image picker.
* Added Czech language support. Updated Dutch, French and Italian language support for the calendar feature. Fixed a glitch with the template chooser under the German UI
* Changed Flickr upload to use OAuth as the new way of authentication.
* Solved the problem that could lead to failed save operations after the restore of a previous version of a document (OS X 10.7+ Lion).
* Fixed a typo in the online help and added a couple of small details.
* Solved an issue where entering or leaving the fullscreen mode could cause problems in selecting graphic objects using the mouse.
* Going into the OS X Lion Versions Browser with a document that holds a missing image no longer leads to a crash.
More Information: Posterino 3 – Christoph Priebe (Mac App Store – updated version) or the Zykloid Software website.
Easy Timeline 1.1.1 was released today. Version 1.1.1 is a minor update – the 3D presentation mode now supports Kensington Presenter remote controls. Easy Timeline is, as the name implies, timeline software that makes it easy to create presentations based on timelines, including with a 3D perspective, and with full-screen interactiveness.
More information: Timeline 3D – BEEDOCS Mac Apps Store or BEEDOCS website.
Finally, this week Apple released eight, count them, eight printer driver updates. They cover Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and 10.7 Lion. Some of these printer drivers cover not only printers, but scanners (in the case of all-in-one devices).
Brands cover (the links take you to supported devices): Canon, Gestetner, InfoPrint, Infotec, Lanier, NRG, Ricoh, and Samsung
Note: These should be available through Software Update if you have used them in the past, otherwise they will be available on demand.
Read more: http://www.macnn.com/articles/12/02/15/unusual.burst.of.updates/#ixzz1mcaRdInc