The FamilyTree Editor is much improved and enhanced – it’s replacing the Family Assistant. Details are easy to see just by hovering/clicking, rather than going to a list view in the past.
The User Interface is based on four categories/views – Edit, Views, Reports, Export. Place management is much improved and is managed in a new way. Media management has also been improved, including a CoverFlow-style view as well as fullscreen slide show. There is a feature to overlay biographical information on top of media.
A major addition and improvment is the ToDo Management, which allows you to make to-do lists, as well as prioritize and catalog everything and anything you can think of when doing research.
Web research has been added – Ancestry.com, FindAGrave, FootNote, World Vital Records, and other services (including Google Search) can be directly accessed from within MacFamilyTree using the Web Research tool.
Major changes and updates:
* New user interface with enhanced navigation bar.
* More, improved charts and integration
* To-Do Management
* Integrated web research
* Eventual integration of “New FamilySearch” for line research (closed beta, open towards end of 2010)
* Printing charts – no limit on persons or generations. Alignment of charts can be changed around – left or right, to or bottom.
* Multi-touch on newer MacBooks or MacBook Pro laptops can be used to zoom in an out of charts.
* More, improved reports, including information about marriages, dates, distinct individuals, etc.
* Performance enhancements, especially when dealing with large trees and GEDCOM/genealogy data files.
* Executed as a 64-bit application under Mac OS X 10.6 on 64-bit Macs.
* GEDCOM import/export has been improved.
* New startup window
* Multi-selection in person, family, source, place view lists
Free Demo: SyniumSoftware.com
* Has mobile support through the iPad and iPhone 4 (native resolution) and iPhone and iPod touch (see MacFamilyTree 6 page)
* Support was dropped for Mac OS X 10.4 and below. MacFamilyTree 6.0 requires Mac OS X 10.5 or later (10.6 Snow Leopard).
* MacFamiyTree is a $25 upgrade from MacFamilytree 1.x – 5.x, otherwise it’s $49.